Catholic education was initially provided at Kyabram West from 1878 -1909 and during this period, in 1904 St Augustine’s opened its doors with an enrolment of 15 students. This initiative was promoted and supported by the Augustinian priests who ministered the parish community until January 2006.
Augustinian priests were serving in the parish and welcomed the arrival of Brigidine sisters to the region in 1919. Four teaching nuns replaced the lay teachers and the enrolment increased to 100 students. The Brigidine Sisters moved into the convent, Our Lady of Peace Centre (OLOP) and managed the school until the appointment of the first secondary lay principal in 1976, and the first primary lay principal in 1979.
Parent participation in the education of the students has a long tradition at the College. The Catholic Women’s Social Guild, that was formed in 1929 (approx), supported the school until the formation of the Mother’s Club in 1967. The Mother’s Club held their last meeting in 1985 and the Parents and Friends Association began in 1986.
In 1977 the School Board in conjunction with the Parish and the Catholic Education Office (Sandhurst) initiated the amalgamation of St Augustine’s Primary and St Augustine’s College.
Since the College opened, it has provided Catholic education for a range of year levels in the district. In the late 1960s, Years 11 and 12 were offered, but this level of education was discontinued in 1971. In 1998, a decision was made to have one Principal and the school was renamed St. Augustine’s P-10 College. Years 11 and 12 were reintroduced in 2008 and the school became St. Augustine’s College offering Catholic education for the entire thirteen-year journey.
Enrolments have continued to increase since the school began to offer all years of primary and secondary education; it is a flourishing and nurturing environment for education.
In order to provide excellent facilities for the increasing student and staff population, the College has developed a masterplan for building and redevelopment to ensure that the students have light-filled, contemporary designed spaces that facilitate learning and enhance student achievement.
The influence of the Brigidine and the Augustinian charisms continues to be reflected in the school which espouses the values of Community, Partnership, Faithfulness, Learning for Life and Human Flourishing. The college logo, symbols, house patrons and logos are indicative of the founding traditions of the school that are now being expressed in a 21st century context.
Today, Mr Jay Sutton leads the College community and along with 100+ dedicated staff, commit to serving the needs of the Kyabram community through the gift of faith and education.
The first 100 years of the school’s history is recorded in A Century of Catholic Education at St. Augustine‘s Kyabram 1904-2004 and it was launched during the centenary celebrations.